Tuesday 3 June 2014

ReviewsdayTuesday : More Than This

“Real life is only ever just real life. Messy. What it means depends on how you look at it. The only thing you’ve got to do is find a way to live there.” 



I finally got around to reading More Than This by Patrick Ness after hearing so much hype from publishers and readers alike. The book's huge marketing campaign almost put me off but I'm so glad it didn't. Patrick Ness is undoubtedly one of the best YA writers out there and this book deserves all the attention it has received.


More Than This opens with a boy drowning, and then waking up...where? What follows is an exploration of whether anything else that happens in the book is real or not. This book asks the big philosophical questions, and it definitely asks more questions than it gives answers.  

I cannot go into the plot further in any way, just take my word that this book is fantastic. Many times, I actually spoke aloud the words: "Oh my god!" and "What the hell?" Maybe I don't read enough thriller/suspense novels, but everything that happened surprised me. I had no idea what was going to happen next and I was thoroughly captivated. I feel like the cliche review quote "I just couldn't put it down" actually applies here!

If you enjoy stories about the afterlife/ post-apocalypse /the future or just really smart YA then you will love this book! Also, check out Patrick Ness's other books: the Chaos Walking trilogy and A Monster Calls.

“Know yourself and go in swinging.” 

Rebecca x


(I had to stop myself numerous times from turning this review into an appreciation post for my favourite character. If you've read the book/ know me at all, you'll know who I mean. I'm a sucker for a hero.)

No comments :

Post a Comment