Monday 12 May 2014

ReviewsdayTuesday : Private Peaceful

Today is Reviewsday Tuesday ! Hell yes !

In London Loveiosa we are a bunch of amazing people who love reading, so we decided to all give a book we loved to another member of our charity !

The book I got was "Private Peaceful", written by Michael Morpurgo;



Let me tell you this right here and now : I loved it.

Set in Iddesleigh, England, before and during World War One, it tells the story of the Peaceful family, from the point of view of the youngest son, Thomas "Tommo".

My first idea was to try and write a constructive review, but who am I kidding, I don't even speak fluently English. So here is why I loved this book so much, in no particular order and with a very strong French accent :

- every chapter of the book starts with a time and a few lines set in the present, then Tommo brings us back to his childhood by trying to remember it, while he waits for the morning to come (but why?)
-the oldest Peaceful son, Big Joe, has learning difficulties and loves singing Oranges and Lemons
so much love in this family it will break your heart
- Tommo and his brother Charlie's relationship is the best thing
- the book condemned the unfair treatment soldiers were given during the war in a very powerful way
- you will cry but you will laugh
- this is the worst review ever but do read the book, you'll love it!

"I could believe only in the hell I was living in, a hell on earth, and it was man-made, not God-made."
Michael Morpurgo

Laura Xx

No comments :

Post a Comment